Monday, January 18, 2010

CBR Book#20: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling


At last I have completed the last book of the Harry Potter series. I was both looking forward to and dreading reading The Deathly Hallows because I would finally know how it all ends and because it would all end. I had heard that more people died in the end of this one and I spent most of the book afraid of when someone was going to die. This is not to say that I did not enjoy the book, because I did, but it was an intense experience.



Harry, Hermione and Ron are dropping out of Hogwarts to carry out the tasks given to them by Dumbledore. Voldemort has regained his power and is trying to rid the wizarding world of "Mudbloods". The Order of the Phoenix has lost their meeting place, the Ministry of Magic is quickly being infiltrated by Death Eaters, and rogue groups of reward-hungry wizards are accosting anyone they feel might not be a pure-blood wizard. Those found to be less than pure blood are sent to Azkaban or killed. I was reminded of Nazi Germany while reading this book.

Harry and his friends are traveling constantly and living under cover of protective spells. Communication with other people is nearly impossible and they are unable to show themselves in public. Hogwarts has a new headmaster in Severus Snape and the students are rebelling against him and the Death Eaters they now have as teachers. Everything is depressing and in shambles.

I could not stop reading this book. I would sit down to read a chapter or two and finish three or four hours later. I had to leave the book for about two days so I could get something else done. Really well done, well written book. I grieved for the characters that were lost and I appreciated being given an update on those that remained. Excellent read.

No comments:

Post a Comment