Monday, January 11, 2010

CBR Book#19: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling


People seemed to be severely underwhelmed by the movie adaptation of Half-Blood Prince. As I hadn't read the book, I didn't know what I was missing when I finally watched the movie a week ago. Let me tell you, I was confused watching Half-Blood Prince. I didn't understand what the hell was going on, even though I had seen all of the previous movies and had just begun reading the book. Having finished the book, I must say I have a clearer understanding of the movie and its many flaws.



Again, Rowling has crafted something special in this novel. I find myself begging off of responsibilities so that I might read a few more pages of Rowling's novels. Harry is fast leaving behind any idea of childhood as he begins to put pieces of his previous Hogwarts adventures together. Dumbledore is assisting Harry with understanding his role in the downfall of Voldemort and the importance of Harry in accepting what has to be done.

Although I knew it was coming, the SPOILER death of Dumbledore SPOILER made me tear up a bit. I had hoped that the circumstances surrounding this event would be better explained than in the movie, allowing me to understand why it was done and what purpose it really served. As it is, I am still not convinced of the real motives of the culprit. Excellent book and I will begin Deathly Hallows immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment