Wednesday, November 18, 2009

CBR Book #8: Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin


(I don't want to get all spoiler up in this bitch because I don't know who has seen the movie or read the book.) This book troubled me as a feminist in the way that Rosemary was treated and the ways that she reacted to those around her. Rosemary acquiesces to almost all of those around her, including her husband Guy and their neighbors the Castavets. Even when her friends, her instincts, and her own body are telling her that something is amiss, she ignores them in favor of Guy , Dr. Saperstein, and the Castavets. That made me crazy as I was reading. I understand that this book was written by a man and in the late 1960s, but it still annoyed me.



I did enjoy this book, though my previous paragraph may make it seem as though I did not. It was a tight little thriller that kept me reading when I knew the outcome. Levin does have a way of writing that helps you to keep moving through the story while not becoming too muddled with details or too lost without them. Rosemary is such a sympathetic character, even with her lack of a spine for most of the story, and you genuinely want her and her baby to be alright. She's such a sunny person that has been thrust into the most horrible situation you can imagine, but she perseveres amidst societal and personal obstacles.

All said, this is quite a read. The tension is palpable and the characters are well thought out and described. The best part of the book for me? The smell of the pages and the gorgeous red and flowered hard cover. Oh, and the possibility of demon spawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment