Monday, June 21, 2010

CBR Book#47: The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong



I have read and reviewed the first two books in the Dark Powers trilogy: The Summoning and The Awakening. There may be spoilers in this review, as the events in the previous novels are addressed in this one.



Chloe Saunders is a fifteen year old necromancer who has just come into her powers. Powers that were greatly enhanced by the shadowy Edison Group. Chloe and Derek, a werewolf, Simon, a sorcerer, and Tori, a witch, are on the run from the Edison Group. They have located a friend of Simon's and Derek's father, Andrew, and are staying with him in a safe house. They are introduced to other adults that claim to share the same goals: stopping the experiments of the Edison Group. But can they really be trusted, especially when they see just how powerful Chloe, Derek, and Tori are?

Since this is a young adult novel, there is also the little sub-plot of sorts concerning Chloe's feelings for brothers Simon and Derek. Since I'm not a complete idiot, I was able to discern who Chloe would choose based on the second book in the series. I'm embarrassed to say that I still got a grin on my face when Chloe made her choice and the new couple was finally able to kiss. Whatever, sometimes my heart unfreezes and allows me to feel feelings.

Armstrong has her characters make the same mistakes over and over again, which is more real-to-life than many other novels. No one changes overnight. Not even a werewolf. So the characters, though much more aware of the danger that they are in, still do stupid teenage things, but they have also learned to work together and make better decisions. It is a growth that takes place at what is probably a reasonable pace within the circumstances and it works well for the story.

Once again, Armstrong has crafted an enjoyable and quick read that I'm sure would be adored by younger readers. Since these books are referred to as a trilogy, I don't know that I'll be revisiting these characters. Hopefully I'll see them in some of Armstrong's adult novels that I plan to begin reading next.

No comments:

Post a Comment