Tuesday, April 5, 2011

CBRIII: Book#18: The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore


If the last novel, Fluke, was my least favorite then The Stupidest Angel is my favorite. Maybe it's the recurring characters, the Christmas theme, or the undead walking the Earth. I know it's at least one of those things, if not all of them, that make this my favorite. I grinned while reading it, which is odd. But it is so much fun and so good!

We join our friend Theo Crowe, constable of Pine Cove, California, five years after the events of The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove. He and Molly Michon are married and living in Theo's cabin while he continues to lope around town doing his elected duties for the people. He's also stopped smoking pot and Molly has stopped "forgetting" to take her medication. Things are good.

Then, a few days before Christmas, Lena Marquez is playing Santa for Goodwill. The wealthy land developer Dale Pearson promised to put money in the red bucket when he left Thrifty-Mart, but the cheap bastard had just blown past her on his way to his truck. Lena, of course, decides to follow Dale, ringing her bell in his ear. Dale slams Lena in the stomach with a ten pound bag of ice, bringing Theo into the whole mess. Dale and Lena have another encounter later in the night that doesn't end with just a bruise.

Tucker Case, one-time pilot for makeup magnate Mary Jean before crashing her jet while attempting to induct a prostitute into the Mile-High Club which led to being hired to...just read Island of the Sequined Love Nun, okay? Anyway, Tucker Case is in Pine Cove for the holidays. He's feeling lonely and wants to find someone to bone under the Christmas tree. Luckily for Tuck, he meets Lena while she's in a very vulnerable position.

I'm not even going to tell you about the Lonesome Christmas, the nudity, or the cannibalism! I mean, really? THIS BOOK IS THE GREATEST BOOK OF ALL OF THE BOOKS. I adore Theo Crowe, so this made me instantly love the book when I realized it was set in Pine Cove. (I don't read the backs of Moore's books anymore, so that everything can be a surprise.) Another excellent read from the insane Mr. Moore.

1 comment:

  1. When I read this and came to the part with the zombies, I thought immediately of you! Great review :D

    ReplyDelete