Saturday, October 17, 2009

Did you think that was fun? Because trust me you won't have that much fun until you discover oral pleasure.


I finally got to watch Away We Go last night. I was so nervous about watching it because I love John Krasinski but I hate most of his movies. I couldn't even get to his part in the horrible Smiley Face. Leatherheads was a huge disappointment for me but the charisma of Clooney and the sweetness of Krasinski kept me watching. I didn't want Away We Go to be shite too. Luckily for me, it isn't.



I popped the DVD into the player and grinned from ear to ear in anticipation. The grin didn't fade until very close to the end of the movie, and that was because I was close to crying. The opening scene reminded me of the relationship between The Husband and me and the rest of the movie kept the similarities coming. For those who don't know, Away We Go is about a couple, Burt (Krasinski) and Verona (Maya Rudolph), that become unexpectedly pregnant. The pregnancy causes them to question what kind of family they will be and where they want to call home. The Husband and I were unexpectedly pregnant and asked ourselves the same questions. We were far from family, didn't have much to our names except debt, and didn't want to repeat the mistakes we'd seen in so many other families.

I suck at reviews and I don't know quite where to go from here. I do know that I plan to watch Away We Go again and again. I also know that I saw myself and The Husband in Verona and Burt and that I haven't been personally touched by a movie in a very long time. I also know that your family is what you choose to make it. You have to find your own place in the world and keep reinventing the rules to fit the situations that you never saw coming. Away We Go illustrates this beautifully and makes it clear that sometimes Hollywood still delivers films and not just movies.

3 comments:

  1. Ha! Please, girl, the hardest part of this Cannonball gig is gonna be the reviews for most of us, I suspect. You just gotta keep on doing it. Anyway, you made me want to see it.

    My only criticism is, there's no penis in here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about the lack of penis after I finished the review. There is oral sex though!

    The reviews are going to be tough for me but I think I'll have a more difficult time not tossing books that get boring. I'm bad for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy 30th birthday, john krasinski!

    ReplyDelete